EPRI & CHAMPS revolutionized the nuclear power industry
The nuclear industry is facing cost pressures due to cheap, abundant natural gas. One of the best ways to lower costs and improve efficiencies to the bottom line is to analyze data to see where the most expensive Preventive Maintenance dollars are being spent and determine if altering the PM strategy can result in lowering costs while maintaining the same reliability for various equipment and assets at the plant. The data is difficult to mine and the reliability engineers struggle to generate good analytics.
EPRI’s reliability engineers needed to identify how to lower costs and improve efficiencies to see where the most Preventive Maintenance dollars are being spent in order to determine if altering the PM Strategy could result in lower costs while maintaining the same reliability for equipment and assets at the plant.
EPRI partnered with CHAMPS Analytics and deployed Qlik to work with large, complex data sets. It brought value immediately, realizing over 200 million in savings within 12 months. Now every nuclear power plant in North America and Mexico can see their spending for any asset and quickly determine the high value assets they can target for PM Optimization.
Their goal of becoming a data driven organization is a reality. As a result they have:
- 99% participation with the entire nuclear power industry for North America (US and Canada and Mexico)
- Assembled data from the entire North American fleet of reactors and deployed the solution in less than 1 year
- Created an environment where ERWG engineers can trust the data to make impactful decisions.
“By partnering with CHAMPS Analytics we are now able to solve the hardest data analytics problems for the entire industry. Never before can could we give each utility a one stop shop to analyze their PM data and performance and while also allowing each utility to compare and contrast their spending patterns against their peers. By providing the analytics powered by Qlik, we are projecting tens of millions of dollars in savings across the entire US fleet of nuclear reactors.”
— Jeff Greene
EPRI Senior Technical Leader
Results & Client Value
- EPRI members realized over $2M dollars in savings within 6 months of deploying our Qlik analytics application
- 99% participation with the entire nuclear power industry for North American (US and Canada)
- Achieved the impossible – assembled data from the entire North American fleet of reactors and deployed the solution in less than 1 year
- Created an environment where ERWG (Electric Reliability Working Group) engineers can trust the data to make impactful decisions
- Transformed EPRI in a data driven organization that delivers value to their clients